By John Stoker
Here are a number of tactics that you might decide to adopt to reverse the feelings of negativity and help the folks to refocus their efforts during these times of unrelenting chaos.
- Change Your Perspective – If you don’t understand or support the changes that your organization is implementing, then you had better take the time to become a convert.
- Learn From Your People – Discovering what is not working and why allows you to address challenges in a more timely fashion.
- Identify The Needs Of The Individual – I think it is safe to assume that most people come to work looking to perform adequately and not intentionally mess something up.
- Be Enthusiastic – Your people will reflect the tone and demeanor that you display. If you are positive, energetic, and enthusiastic, then they will also adopt your demeanor. Don’t accept ongoing negativity.
- Offer Frequent Encouragement – I have been told repeatedly over the years that, “No news is good news.” In other words, the only time a person’s manager may speak to them is when they have messed up.
- Set aside your needs – We often become so busy or wrapped up as managers that we don’t recognize the needs of others. Others’ needs are really your needs. If those that work for you are not successful, then neither are you. Take the time to offer assistance and support.